December 7, 2020 – California Secretary of State Search Update to Office Services
Update to Office Services
Effective December 7, 2020 and continuing through December 2020
As a result of widespread transmission of COVID-19 and the direction of the California Department of Public Health, the Secretary of State is making every attempt to ensure the safety of our customers and employees while still offering essential services to the public.
With these goals in mind, effective Monday, December 7, 2020, our Los Angeles office will be closed, and our Sacramento office will have limited staff in the office.
- Expedite and Preclearance Services are suspended. Any expedites received Friday, December 4, 2020 or prior will be returned by mail.
- Lobby Pick-up is suspended. Any documents received Friday, December 4, 2020 or prior will be returned by mail.
- Drop-off Service will continue in the Lobby from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Special Handling fees will be waived, and all documents will be returned by mail.
- The 72-hour rule is suspended.
All documents dropped off in the lobby will be deemed received at 5:00 p.m. on the date dropped off and processed on a first in, first out basis with focus on online submissions followed by drop-off and mail apostilles, conversions, and mergers as these currently cannot be submitted online. For fastest service, utilize our online services. If an online service in not available, you may include a prepaid airway bill and return envelope that we will use to return your documents.
Processing dates vary depending on the type of request submitted, how the request is submitted, and when the request is received by the California Secretary of State’s office.
As significantly more requests are submitted at the end of the fiscal and calendar years, the processing time for all requests takes longer. If a faster response time is needed for a filing request, see Service Options for information about expediting a filing request.